Friday, February 12, 2016

Stephen's Card


I finished a birthday card for my younger brother the other day.  I chose the Bible verse shown on the front, because, in addition to being an appropriate verse for a birthday, it reflects who he is -- a faithful servant of God.  Sinner and Saint all wrapped up into one "Loved by God Package," just like me.  The 17th will be a "milestone birthday" for him.  You know ... the kind that ends in a "0".

At the risk of sounding terribly maudlin -- not entirely appropriate following a "happy birthday" post -- I will say that as I watch my parents' declining health, I often think about my own mortality. My folks were both younger than I am now when they set out on an adventure and moved to a foreign country. They enjoyed their travels and returned safely to their home in the states just before my father retired. He was younger then than I am now. They continued to enjoy making memories, many of which were when they were younger than I am now.  Even with those thoughts in mind, I don't feel old. With all of its highs and lows, I'm still enjoying my life. I just know that time is unforgivingly short, and, if God wills it, one of these days I will be turning that same page my parents did and find myself in a whole new chapter. Not their chapter, my chapter -- but the chapter, if you know what I mean.  As the Beatles aptly put it, "Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friends."  Better yet, Ephesians 4 is an excellent read on that subject.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment